Monday, May 5, 2014

Playing with Svg Files and Paper Fun Challenge

 
I spent the entire weekend playing with my Cricut.  Next week Svgcuts.com is sponsoring our challenge with a HUGE prize of a $50 gift card to their shop.  I wanted to showcase their products in some of the upcoming challenges so I downloaded a project kit to work with - oh, I'm sorry... did I say "a project kit"... alluding to just one single kit??  I meant I downloaded FOUR project kits because I lack restraint in any way when faced with creativity sparking genies!!! 
 
Needless to say, I didn't leave the house all weekend because I was crafting like crazy.  I have my project done for next weeks challenge "Celebrating Mom" but you'll have to wait to see it.  Today, we are looking at Challenge#209: Paper Fun- Use patterned paper on your project.
 
I must tell you that this challenge ultimately caused me to reorganize all of my patterned paper from being separated by color to being divided by collection.  This was a humungous undertaking but that is another story.  Right now we are going to look at the fun stationary set I made for my daughter's 2nd grade teacher; Mrs. Patterson. Tomorrow is National Teacher Appreciation Day so this is going to be a great gift for Eva to give her teacher.

I used the "Card for Teacher" svg project files from "School Days"  to make my version of the project.  I used paper from the K and Co. "Danny O" collection to make the box and the "Cricut Craft Room Font" to cut the letters that spell out Mrs. Patterson
 
The cards and envelopes came in a separate svg file folder and were very simple to make.  I used foam dots to add dimension under the apple and folded the leaf to make it jump off of the page.  I tried to juxtaposition the large willy nilly polka dots on the box with the tidy small polka dots on the cards. I love working with patterned paper for this reason.  You can add depth and interest to any project regardless of its simplicity, by playing with both contrasting and complimentary designs.  In a way, patterned paper allows you to tell a story.  In my project, I tried to use paper that had child-like qualities with prominently primary colors as to say "I belong in a classroom."  My cards are much more orderly however, announcing, "this is an official note from the teacher".

Take some time to do some crafting this week because you deserve it!  Pull out your favorite sheet of patterned paper and make a project with it.  Let the paper do the talking and see what happens! 

3 comments:

  1. Those school projects are absolutely adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mrs Patterson is going to love the special gift you made her. I'm glad you got a whole weekend to craft. Do much fun

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, dear--HOW did I miss this cute kit? Love your teacher creation!

    ReplyDelete