Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Oh Everyday Pop-Up cards...why are you so hard to figure out?

Yesterday, I set off to do a really cool card and ran into one challenge after another (including losing an entire blog entry because blogspot was not able to save and then Modzilla decided to update without my permission.) rrrrrrrrr
so lets try this again...
Last week I promised to show you the finished card from this entry and provide more information about the Cricut cartridge, Everyday Pop-Up cards.  When I last left you I had cut out the card, the flower box for the front of the card and the pop up for the inside from page 48.  Instead of inking, I had used markers to trace the edges and was pleased with the effect.  The flower box does not have the "flowerbox" layer because I did not like the color contrast.  I chose a brown with too much red and it clashed with the other colors.

Above are the "pop up" cuts for this card.  As I mentioned in my last blog entry, I could not figure out how to incorporate the "friendship blooms" cut and it was not included in the instructions sheet addendum provided by Provocraft so I set it aside. (The link takes you to the pdf created by Joy at Everyday Cricut)

The cartridge only cuts one layer for each style within the pop up creative feature so the pop up is essentially one color unless you manually add your own.  I used my markers to color in my pop up. 

It took me a while to figure out how to fold the flower box so that the card could open and close properly. Once I did, I inserted the flowers into the flower box through the pre-cut slits only to find out that the flowers don't pop up unless you manipulate the stems inside of the box (see photo below).


I manually adjusted it so you can see what would look like if it did "pop up" like it was supposed to. In order for the pop up to do as it should, I would need to make these adjustments manually every time it is opened.

Then there was the issue with the flower box that I planned to adhere on the front of the card.  Since the brown did not work out, I elected to discard the flower box altogether and created the scene below.  I embossed the brown paper with my Big Shot and used one of my Fiskars scallop punches to create the trim on the top. I did some inking, faux stitching and minor doodling with a white gel pen.
Not my favorite card but cute enough.  If only the pop up, popped up! 

For the next project, I cut mashed 2 cards together. 
 First, I cut the scalloped card and "Thank You" pop up (pop up creative feature +shift) from Page 22.
I cut the birds from page 51 with the intention of using them on the front of the card holding a banner.

I just couldn't see how the pop up could attach to the card so that it folded closed properly. 
I had to adapt the pop up portion of the card below because I could not figure out how to attach the pop up phrase.
 I used my craft knife to removes the "legs" and adhered the phrase with pop dots.

To create the flags on the banner, I used the Birthday Bash cartridge.  There are a variety of flag shapes on pages 58-63 under the "font" creative feature.
I used a small circle punch to cut out the circles adhered to each scallop with a pop dot and the chipboard letters are by Fancy Pants.  I purposely rotated the direction of the stripes to give the card more interest.

I really like how this card turned out. Even though the pop up aspect is super complicating, I like this cartridge for its unique art work and its potential.  I will keep experimenting and once I get this cartridge figured out, I will share that information!

7 comments:

  1. Great flower garden po-up! Love your solution for the thank you card!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! They don't make it easy for you, do they! I wonder if there's a YouTube on this...they have everything! LOL!! But I do love what you did with your cards :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great cards too bad the pop up didn't work

    ReplyDelete
  4. These cards are so fun.
    They turned out great. I hope someone special gets them as you had put some much work into them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Should the supports not be folded under the thank you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had trouble figuring out how to use the supports to make the card pop up so I cut the supports off and used foam dots to lift it off the base. If you figure out how to use the supports please post it here for others!

      Delete