Friday, March 21, 2008

Scrapbooking, beading, sewing and more...

I cannot believe it has been a month since I blogged last. but I have a few very valid excuses and lots of work to share. I went skiing for 8 days in Beaver Creek and I had sinus surgery which involved a very painful recovery. These activities plus the catch up in between kept me from blogging but not from creating. Art has finally become part of my living routine! What I mean is that I don't have to sacrifice something else to get art time. Art'ing has integrated into my life just like cooking dinner and doing the laundry.

So during the last 4 weeks, I worked on my pages for my art journal swap. I still have to finish the design on the back page, but I know I'll be using these wedding confetti flowers which I've altered with stamps.

I also completed my 8 x 8 swap pages. I signed up for 2 page designs so I had to make 10 copies of each design - 20 total. I sent them off and then realized that I forgot to photograph one of the designs. I'll post it when the pages are sorted and returned.
I finished all 40 of my charms for the Inspired charm swap too but I forgot to photograph them also (this was during my recovery when I was slightly woozy from the pain medication). They turned out pretty cute - Much better than my last charm swap. I printed the Inspired logo on shrink plastic and stamped the back with "create", "play" and "Imagine" then attached them with silver wire and pink beads. I received the swap in the mail today and I am in AWE of the talent these women have. I cannot believe how amazing the charms turned out! Thank you so much ladies and a big giant thank you to Marsi for putting on a flawless swap! She even included a little jewelry bag with an "inspired charm swap" tag on it! Classy!





After I had finished making my charms I felt Inspired to do some more beading. My dear, dear friend Maggie had given me a stack of AWESOME magazines to enjoy while recovering from surgery so I decided to bead-lift one of the designs I saw in "Bead Style". I am so excited about the finished project. I also made a pair of matching earrings and am currently working on a necklace. I'm considering posting it on Etsy to see if there is any interest. I'd love to make a set in sterling silver.



Last Saturday a few close girlfriends and I got together to celebrate my 39th birthday and to do some scrapbooking. We met at Scrapbook Island to do their St. Patrick's day crop where we ate sushi and chatted without interruption from husband nor child. Heaven! My sweet husband watched my kids plus 2 more so I could enjoy my friend's company. It was a fabulous group! Corvus was there - (of course -my partner in creative crime) and she was working on finishing the Fancy Pants project from last summer's CKU.

Maggie was there working on an adorable mini album for last months ski trip pictures. Maggie is relatively new to the genre of scrapbooking (though an incredibly creative soul), yet she put together the most beautiful book in a matter of hours. All I can say is WOW!

Lisa, my Valentine swap partner from Studio Calico, also attended with her darling little boy Maarten. This was just our second time meeting but I feel as though we are old friends. You would not believe the page she whipped together - Something you would find in the pages of Creative Keepsakes. The photo of her beautiful daughter was a great subject to work with but the way she pulled everything else together was so ingenious and the end result was a stunning page.

And last but not least, Andrea who worked on a gorgeous album for her mom. She has this incredible talent and it is such a treat to watch her work unfold. She coordinated a few different papers to make a beautiful book, inked, distressed and shaazam - she had an album. I loved what she designed and cannot wait to see the finished product. I'm sure her mom will love it!

I had set a goal to complete 5 pages but felt quite happy about my four considering we were visiting and eating too.








And the last project I worked on over the last month is the apron I am doing for Jennifer Williams for the Inspired apron swap. I get all gitty just thinking about it. I developed the apron concept while working at my son's pre-school. My station wasn't very popular that day so i started playing with some paper piecing.



Once I had my prototype, I attempted to make a paper model of the concept.



Then came the hard part; creating the apron out of fabric. Especially since my sewing machine is not cooperating. i think my kids played with the tension because the thread is ripping every few inches. I elected to do a lot of the work by hand stitching and liquid sew. It still needs to be adhered to the apron but I am delighted at with the design.



The hat has multiple functions. Besides being pretty cute, there are several pockets. The hat top is a pocket with a velcro closed flap and the ribbon hat trim covers a stitched elastic band for holding pens. The shirt is also a pocket as are the sleeves. It has been so darn fun to put together!

So that is what I've been up to - It has been a creative extravaganza and I'm so jazzed about it. My husband saw me looking in the mirror last night with the apron on and he said "what a wonderful life you have...you get to do what you love and you are good at it." I was so touched that he said I was good at it and very grateful that I know what it is that I love and that he and my family allow me to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment